Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Do you taste like chicken?

Mark another award winning comment up for me. While I was waiting in line for my latte, I noticed a heavenly aroma emanating from the businessman in front of me. It wasn’t cologne, it wasn’t deodorant, but it was mysterious and lovely. Since I happen to be surrounded on a daily basis by the good folks downtown that smell like infected catheter bags, I had to let this man know that I appreciated him, you know, in a completely olfactory sense.

Leaning in toward him a little I gave a bit of a sniff and said “Mmmmm, you smell…like candy”. And as soon as I said it, I realized how very, very wrong it seemed.

He gave me the exact same look that I give the lady that is wrapped in fourteen layers of winter clothing in August and who carries her collection of empty plastic bags everywhere she goes. I was sniffing him, I was talking to him, and I was bug nuts crazy.

But he did smell delicious.

Speaking of delicious, as I watched the X-Files yesterday (
I’ll bet David Duchovny smells like candy too) and the episode centered around the murderous happenings at a chicken processing plant whereupon people were being cooked and served like chicken, all I could think of was “Mmmmmm. Chicken.” Guess what we’re having for dinner tonight? An old friend! We’ll eat his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Actually this presents a disturbing trend. When I watched an abdominal surgery on tv a few weeks ago I came away with a hankering for some Jimmy Dean sausage links. Was there a subtle product placement somewhere? Was the colon transplant paid for by the Jimmy Dean sausage people? Or am I just a very sick girl?

I would bet on the latter.

1 comment:

Knitting Momma said...

Discovered you through the random Midwest Knitters button and will be back. Frequently. I hope you said half of what you wrote to your daughter's teacher. And no, the desire for sausages while watching an abdominal surgery isn't sick. It's normal. AT least for me.