Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Amish are trying to screw us

As I have spent the last three days of my vacation quilting, a thought has come to me. If you are a crafter of any kind, you have probably heard that the Amish as well as native Americans always put a mistake in their crafting because the only perfection in the universe is God (or your preferred higher spirit). I have also heard that this isn't true...

I offer the theory that the Amish and native Americans are putting forth this story as a means to get us to accept our mistakes, meanwhile, they put out perfect arts and crafts. Here is a sales pitch that I imagine occuring in a small Pennsylvania Dutch community from an 80 year old Amish woman displaying her beautiful quilts:

"I have been quilting for 70 years now. A lot of "English" try to make Amish style quilts but if you look close, you'll always see a mistake somewhere. My quilts? Absolutely perfect!"

No comments: