Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Wanna see the heads in my freezer?

You've been friends for years. You can finish each other's sentences. You have a psychic link when it comes to phone calls. In short, you KNOW each other.

Then it happens.

Perhaps you're in a group setting and everyone is chatting, and someone happens to bring up the subject of movies.

And every single movie that the group starts raving about makes you want to puke. And their favorite actors are people that you absolutely revile, people who, by the very nature of their exchanging oxygen for carbon dioxide, just piss you off!

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?

You thought you knew them!

But all bets are off now.

Who knows, maybe these people go home to a freezer full of severed heads.

Or perhaps...just perhaps...YOU'RE THE FREAK!

My tastes in movies is similar to my taste in music, varied, strange, and unpredictable. My favorite hobby is seeing what Netflix has to recommend. They have no freakin' clue!

And it is very hard for picky people like me to find movie reviews that I agree with. I think I've stated it here before that I actually have to study before I see a movie. I have to read a zillion reviews, listen to many opinions, perhaps read the book that the movie is based on, and then maybe, just maybe, I'll think about going.

Back in my wild heady days of singleness and cheap movie prices, I would walk out of about 50% of the movies that I went to. Then I started to go out on dates. And walking out on movies or making whispered snarky comments really don't leave a good impression so I began my long journey into night.

And then I had kids. For a good ten years, all the movies I saw were animated and written badly. As were most of our rentals.

Now, I want to see the Golden Compass.
I don't feel too inspired to read the book before hand.
And I'm afraid I'm just going as a whore to special effects.

So as I ruminate on this quandry, I will now totally put myself out there and give you a few somewhat recent movies that I could watch over and over again:

Hot Fuzz

Shaun of the Dead

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Everything is Illuminated

Being John Malkovich

Smoke Signals

Breakfast on Pluto

As you may have guessed, if there is ever a movie about zombie transvestite puppeters, I am so there!

No comments: