Monday, February 11, 2008

Even Freud Thinks This Is Stupid

I think psychological therapy can be a good thing. It has gotten me through a few rough patches in the past and when I look at many of the people around me, I think they could benefit from a little, or a lot, of couch time.

But I must admit, I have very little time nor patience for many of the self help psychobable books and methods on the market. I suppose there are so many because we are all snowflakes, beautiful and different. (Excuse me, I'm starting to feel a bit nauseated...) Unfortunately, I think that the majority of these quick fix ideas don't recognize this. No matter who you are, where you are, or what you are, just plunk down $25 for this book or $400 for that workshop and our methods will work for you!

Perhaps I wouldn't be ruminating so much on this if it weren't for the fact that I am being badgered, nay bullied, into trying a "workshop" by someone that I generally like but who can be, how shall I put it, a bit demanding?

And it wouldn't be nearly so annoying if this person could actually look in the mirror and do a little self evaluation. Guess what? Self evaluation is free! And it helps when you can realize that even though you think you are put on earth for the salvation of all, it might help if you could realize that a lot of people see you as a meddling bully.

Not to put too fine a point on the matter.

Now, my personal self evaluation has shown me that I am horribly stubborn. I could be drowning and if I felt that you were forcing a damn life ring on me, I would refuse to great detriment.

I also want people to know that they can count on me and that I am reliable. This makes me a bit of a facist when I realize that this is not a trait that all people have. If you say you're going to do something, do it. If you can't do it, then let me know. Don't just shrug your shoulders and say "Oh, by the way, I didn't get that done..." I am really big on letting people hang themselves when I feel they deserve it...and since I am the all knowing, all seeing judge of the universe, I have that right.

See, self evaluation...you may just be a deity and not know it!

So I am trying to think of a diplomatic way to convey my feelings. I am not interested in exploring the life of my inner child. My inner child did something miraculous about twenty two years ago. She grew up. I am not interested in developing ways to turn every single situation into a positive, sunshine coming out my anus, experience. I am a realist. When things are good, I stop to recognize that they are good. When things are bad, I stop to realize that they are bad. I then soldier on.

For that is something I like to call life.

No comments: