Saturday, July 05, 2008

Missing Bees

If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you'll know about my afinity for bees. I've been catering my garden to the bee and butterfly folk for many years now and one of my nerdy little pleasures is sitting in or next to my garden and watching the multitude of bees and butterflies doing their thing.

I must admit that I can't remember if I sat out in the garden last year at this time and monitored the wildlife but thus far, I've been incredibly disturbed by the lack of bees in my garden. I've seen a total of four bees this year. I've seen a lot of small flying bugs that I don't recall seeing before, I've seen a few hornets, and the bees that I've seen have been incredibly small. MY bees, My kick ass wonderful ladies from yesteryear that were fat and fluffy and covered in pollen and so heavy that I was amazed they could fly, are sadly absent.

Something is pollinating the pumpkins and for that I should be grateful, but I'm feeling really concerned.

I know that my photos of the garden from last year were taken when the coneflower was in bloom and I have a ton of it that should come into flower in the next couple weeks, along with the bee balm.














Until then, I guess I'll just have to watch and wait.















Perhaps I'll watch "Pollen-Nation" again...





Or perhaps "Silence of the Bees"






My theory as to where my bees are? Fully explained by my favorite Doctor here...

No comments: