Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Hello, I'll Be Your Career Counselor Today

It's hard when you are a young teen and wanting a job for the summer but everywhere seems to demand that you be at least a couple years older. I've encouraged my kids to volunteer over the summer for the past few years in order to build up their resumes, learn how to exist in adult society, and find out what they like and don't like to do. They have learned social skills and responsibility but what they haven't learned is how to turn time foreward.

My daughter starts her first paying job today, doing what she has volunteered for over the past two summers. As I took her to work, she was already spending her first paycheck in her mind.

Unfortunately, my son called on a job at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory yesterday only to discover that he was a couple years too young to work there. I don't think I helped the situation when I exclaimed "But you were Willy Wonka in the school play! Dude, you OWNED the factory!"

No comments: