Thursday, June 11, 2009

Take A Hike

I've been wanting to go for a good long walk one of these weekends but life has a way of intervening. Perhaps I should say, teenagers in need of a chauffeur have a way of intervening.

A little over a year ago, I started hiking. I learned about the Superior Hiking Trail and that it's just a ten minute walk from my front door. Back then, hiking was an escape from being at home. Quite literally, I would stand in the kitchen, think about how much I hated my life, and then head out the door.

An intelligent person would have just taken the kids one day and not come back.

I have never claimed to be the most intelligent or enlightened, but I'm working on it.

Being in much better shape this year, I'm hoping to do at least the three walk/run events that I did last year. I'm certainly not into competitive running. I only participate as a way to challenge myself. I've learned that there is a certain realization after doing a 20+ mile walk/run...I'm so much stronger than I ever realized.

So, I will be participating in the Domestic Abuse Intervention Program's "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'" in September. I've even reeled in one of my friends to come with me. That was the very first organized event that I ever participated in last year and I did the 13 mile distance and although I was tired, it was a real breakthrough mentally for me that I was in control of my own well being. Interestingly enough, this was probably around the time that STBX started cyber-fucking his girlfriend.

Funny ole world, isn't it?

Perhaps the most fun event I did last year was the Grand Traverse. It's basically a non-competitive walk/run that allows you to do a marathon through the woods. I haven't found anyone to join me on this one this year...yet. I actually liked the solitary challenge of it last year.

I'll be keeping an eye out for other events at Fit City Duluth. I actually thought about trying the Midnight Sun Midnight Run on the night of the sentencing as I think there will be a lot of emotions rolling around in my head that day but I'm still intimidated by competitive running. Perhaps I'll wait until the next day and do the Solstice Walk/Run in Knife River.

If anyone is interested in joining me for any of these events, give a shout out.

No comments: