Friday, December 11, 2009

Before And After

Many years ago, I listened to readings from "The Disappearance" by Genevieve Jurgensen on This American Life. It was on an episode called "Where Words Fail". I purchased the book, read it, and placed it back on my book shelf.

I used to have a lot of books but now? Not so much. I recycle books. I find them in odd places and pass them along when I'm done.

Except for a few. The books that I have kept are littered with marginalia and underlined passages. I have a couple of index card files filled with quotes that I have copied down, words and phrases that roll around in my head and heart.

I never realized that The Disappearance had a subtitle until I pulled it off the shelf yesterday. "A Primer of Loss".

Sometimes, the things we need most are right there in our hands.

2 comments:

Genevieve said...

Thank you for these lines. They have been sent to me by an American friend. And, from Paris, a warm hello to you!
Genevieve Jurgensen

Debbie said...

I cannot begin to express how much your book has meant to me. Knowing that you managed to endure the worst nightmare that I could imagine and you managed to survive gave me strength to go on. Thank you.