Saturday, November 03, 2007

Welcome to the 'hood

Did I mention that we have new neighbors? I have only officially met their teen aged son but I believe there is a teen aged daughter and a mom and dad. My daughter met the grandfather awhile back when she was out walking the dog. He was scoping out the neighborhood to see if it was a "good place". She assured him that it was, later telling me "I wanted to tell him the crack heads only come out at night,"

They seem like perfectly nice people but I think life might be a little like Homer Simpson (us) next to the Flanders Family. When I met the teen aged son we were both in the back yard with our dogs and he introduced himself, shook my hand, and apologized for being dressed inappropriately. I took in his perfectly combed hair, comfy flannel pants, and t-shirt that didn't have a single hole in it. Thankfully, for once in my life, I had dressed before bringing the dog outside.

I smiled and told him not to worry and that little voice that always gets me into trouble said quietly in my brain "And I'd like to apologize for everything that I will wear outside for the entire time you live here...and that old blue housecoat with the stains and holes? Precious family heirloom..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh. Heh heh heh. I have neighbors like that. The little voice inside my head refers to the mom as "Martha Stewart's Mini-Me."