Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Did Your Mommy Not Breastfeed You???

My daughter had her interview to be a foreign exchange student in Japan. This after having had one last year and being told that she couldn't go to Japan because she didn't know enough Japanese. She has spent the last year rockin' the Nippon Casba and now can understand conversational Japanese as well as a lot of the mysteries of Japanese culture.

The new person in charge of the foreign exchange has demonstrated prickatude to an amazing degree. Prickatude and incompetence. After being a month late on the interviews and a half hour late for my daughter's interview, he explained that my daughter would probably like to go to Brazil instead. There are more slots in Brazil...

And she can go there and shop!

Yes. That is what he said.

My daughter would love to go to art school in Japan. She would love to live there one day. She has worked diligently to understand a very intricate culture. And this leering, creepy son of a bitch thinks she just needs to go somewhere and lay on the beach and go shopping.

There were two other women in the interview who thankfully protested at this comment and said that "Obviously, she is after a deeper experience than shopping."

"Yeah," Mr. Prick snorted. "Right!"

Every answer either one of us gave was met by sneering condescension and smart ass comments that were totally inappropriate and completly unfunny. I actually had to take a deep breath a couple times and tell myself not to completly take this fucker out as he so desperately needed it. I ended up keeping my seething tone under control and whenever he said something like "I don't think you understand the situation. Your kid is gonna come back in a year and be a totally different person," all the while keeping a smirk on his face to let me know that I obviously rode the short bus, I parried with "I don't think you understand the situation. I used to work overseas. I KNOW how it changes a person. That's WHY I want her to be able to go."

So, this is the horse's ass that is supposed to be my contact stateside if my daughter goes overseas. This is also the creepy fucker that gives you the sense that he's only doing this for the chance to look down a teenage girl's shirt. When he was describing the beaches in Brazil, I think he gave himself a hard on.

Needless to say, my daughter is now coming to the realization that she will have to travel to two different conferences with this guy if she goes overseas. One conference in North Dakota and the other in Michigan. She has said that this will not be happening.

What's the Japanese phrase for "creepy middle age condecending potential teenage titty toucher"?

I don't know...but it has something to do with disappointment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. When someone like your daughter works toward a goal, rather than operating from a sense of entitlement, it really is a shame. It's truly ugly what a little power can do for some people.

Anonymous said...

There has got to be someone you can contact regarding his inappropriate behavior. I get the creeps just thinking about it. What a douche.