Monday, April 06, 2009

Probably Not Heading To Westminster

As I was walking the dogs this morning at 5 am, we came up the slight hill leading to our house and one of them totally lost his shit. He started barking and lunging on the leash and acting like a maniac.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that my dogs aren't the brightest bulbs around. A couple weeks ago as we were walking up this same hill, they both bopped along, completly oblivious to the fact that a doe was standing about four yards away, frozen in place, waiting to see what they would do. I watched her watching them until they were a couple yards away and she bolted and they both freaked out.

This time though, it was only Shuggie that was losing it. Kirby just stood there, peering into the darkness, wondering what was going on.

As we got up to our driveway, Shuggie was a snarling ball of fury. He pulled me up to the curb in front of our house and then stopped short. If a dog has the ability to look sheepish, that is exactly what he looked like.

He was barking at the garbage bag, sitting next to the garbage bin.

He sat down for a moment, blinked a couple times, and then looked at me like "Aren't you glad you have me? That thing could have bitten your leg off!"

It's always nice to have your dogs make you look like the sane one in the family.

2 comments:

Mary said...

This cracked me up--and so does the dog vs. peanut butter picture at the top.

Shelly said...

My dog did that once, to a couple of camp chairs that we had in the back yard. Thing is, before she ever got around to noticing them, I was fairly convinced that it was a bear hanging out back there. It was only after I realized that it was chairs that the dog went nuts...